Information detailing your procedure will have been supplied to you on consult. Please read all the information carefully as it outlines your procedure, any preparation needed, also any potential risks, and the expected outcomes. Please also refer to the checklist below.
Pre-Admission is a very important part of your medical care at Albany Day Hospital. If you have not completed our Hospital Health Assessment then please proceed with completing this online form via the link below. If you are unable to complete this Health Assessment online, contact our helpful team on 08 6146 1466 and a hard copy can be provided to you.
Please note it is very important that we receive your information promptly to allow us time to check your medical needs and private health fund insurance prior to the procedure. Your booking is not confirmed until we have received and processed this paper work.
Our nurse may contact you by telephone prior to your admission to discuss your medical history, admission and discharge details. Please take this opportunity to raise any questions or concerns you have about your admission.
Your specific fasting time and any special diet requirement will have been given to you by your surgeon’s rooms (Fasting time prior to admission will be at least 6 hours for food and 3 hours for drinking).
On arrival our admissions nurse will greet you and finalise details, including processing any fund excess payment.
Could you please have the following information ready for your admission:
- Personal/Next of Kin details
- Medicare Card
- Funding details (e.g. DVA, Private health insurance, WorkCover or self-funding)
- The hospital will contact you two business days before your procedure to let you know your arrival time. Please arrive at the time you have been given for your admission (no earlier or later).
- In the event of delays, we ask for your understanding. Where delays occur, our staff are committed to keeping you updated.
- Prepare to be at Albany Day Hospital for two to four hours.
On arrival our admissions nurse will greet you and finalise admission details, including taking any fund excess/payment that is due. If you will require a medical certificate, please let us know as early as possible, so that we are able to organise to have this ready for you before you go home.
A nurse will then accompany you to the preoperative area where you will change if required. The nurse will confirm your details, procedure and consent form, allergy status, fasting status, and take observations. You will also be seen by the anaesthetist.
Our theatre nurses will then take you in to the operating room where you will be looked after throughout your procedure by our nurses, Surgeon and Anaesthetist. After your procedure you will wake up in the specialised recovery area where your progress will be monitored until you are ready to go home.
Checklist for minor surgery
- Check time, date and address for Albany Day Hospital
- Discuss your travel arrangements to and from the hospital
- Follow fasting instructions given by your specialist
- Get a good night’s sleep
- Shower or bathe, wash your hair and remove makeup, jewellery, body piercings and nail polish
- Do not wear contact lenses (if they are the type that requires removal at night time)
- Bring medications that would normally be due to take
- Bring x-rays (if required by doctor)
- Leave jewellery and valuables at home
- We suggest you wear loose, button-up clothing for easy-undress
- Inform us if you are on aspirin, Astrix, Cardiprin, Warfarin, Plavix, Iscover, Assasantin, Dipyridamole, or any other blood thinner.
- Prepare for when you get home –
- make sure you have any necessary pain relief on hand
- ensure you have someone staying with you overnight
- be prepared to miss a certain period of work. Please ask if you require a medical certificate. We will ensure your surgeons completes one for you.
If an interpreter is required, Albany Day Hospital recommends that patients use a friend or relative who is available for the whole period of the admission. If this is not possible please notify Albany Day Hospital and we will arrange an interpreter service.